Course Title: Render Hazardous Materials Safe
(also known as HAZMAT)
Course Code: PUAFIR306 & PUAFIR320
Award Issued: Identify, detect and monitor hazardous materials at an incident PUAFIR306
Render hazardous materials incidents safe PUAFIR320
Corequisite: Employ personal protection at a hazardous material incident PUAFIR308
PUAFIR215 Prevent injury and PUAFIR207 Operate breathing apparatus open circuit
Recertification: Determined by Operational and Currency Requirements
Duration: 20 Hours
Course Description: This unit covers the competency required to safely combat incidents involving hazardous materials.
‘Hazardous Materials’ is a generic term used to refer to an incident involving dangerous goods and hazardous substances.
Objectives: Designed for Emergency Response Teams who may be required to render Hazardous Materials Incidents safe.
• HAZCHEM & Dangerous Goods Legislation
• Ensure compliance with legislation
• HAZCHEM Incident Response protocols / procedures
• Personal Protective Equipment: Splash Suits, Gas Suits
• Decontamination and HOT/WARM/COLD Zone establishment
• HAZMAT Emergency Action Guides, HAG Sheets etc
• Safe Work Procedures
Assessment: Assessment will be performed progressively throughout the course using demonstrations of practical skills, scenario’s and short answer theory questions.
Register for a Course